Corporate Legal Counsel (Privacy, Legal Team)
Semrush is a leading digital marketing toolkit for SEO, PPC, and content marketing professionals worldwide, with 7 million marketers who have already used Semrush to improve online marketing activities, monitor their website’s performance, as well as the competitor’s one.
With over 45 tools within the software and search data for 140 countries, Semrush provides solutions for in-house marketing teams and agencies working with clients in any industry. Semrush is an absolute leader in helping good marketers become great!
To keep up with our rapid growth in new markets, Semrush is seeking a qualified lawyer to join our Legal Team in Saint Petersburg. You will work with our business leaders, in-house counsel, outside counsel, and a variety of internal teams on legal matters related to data security, data protection, privacy, and regulatory compliance. You’ll help chart the company’s long-term strategy for handling customers and the personal information associated with our products. You’ll also work closely with our Sales, Customer Support, and Product teams, and meet with our customers & vendors to help explain our policies and practices, review and negotiate a variety of commercial and related privacy agreements and help them understand our strong legal compliance strategy.
We envision the successful candidate as someone who considers themselves or aspires to be a “privacy specialist”, and who already has solid experience drafting and negotiating contracts for delivering SaaS solutions to a global client base as well as for the acquisition of third-party software tools and inputs. You can manage projects and negotiations with attention to detail, a desire to meet high standards for work product, are able to collaborate effectively with a demanding internal client base and are able to operate with limited supervision.
We are looking for a Corporate Legal Counsel(Privacy) to join a dynamic team!
- Focus on the development and implementation of a robust privacy strategy for Semrush as an in-house expert on global privacy and data protection laws.
- Develop privacy and data use policies and processes to keep Semrush in line with - and ahead of - privacy laws and best practices around the globe.
- Negotiate DPAs, educate and support the sales, product and HR organizations on privacy and related matters.
- Primary legal partner on privacy matters and primary advisor to the Security team; may support other teams based on interest and need.
- Anticipate problems and initiate actions to ensure privacy, security and data protection issues are addressed efficiently.
- Resolve legal issues and contract interpretation matters that arise in existing commercial relationships.
- Develop and deliver trainings for employees and executives on subjects within counsel’s areas of responsibility, including privacy, security, data protection and risk management and good contracting practices.
- Assist with legal support of efforts to expand business operations internationally.
- Provide business partners with thoughtful legal perspective and guidance, as well as risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- 3-5 years’ experience as an attorney with a mix of law firm and in-house experience focusing on privacy and data protection and general commercial contract negotiation and drafting (not litigation): a minimum of two years’ experience working as an in-house attorney at a technology company, or with technology clients.
- Fluent in English (both verbal and written), Upper Intermediate at the least.
- Preference for in-house public company experience.
- Preference for experience in drafting and negotiating SaaS software contracts.
- Exercises meticulous attention to detail and an organized approach to quickly identify a problem to be solved, and then solve it.
- Ability to be creative and flexible but with a focus on business-oriented outcomes.
- Highly developed written and oral communications skills, with the ability to clearly articulate recommendations and options about complex legal issues.
- Highly collaborative and able to organize and manage projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, lead strategically and advance innovative solutions.
- Tactful with strong external negotiation skills.
- Ability to quickly come up to speed and excel in matters specific to the marketing technology industry.
- This offer stands for the “work-from-office” format (10 mins from the metro station Moskovskiye Vorota). Of course, every now and then you can #wfh due to various reasons, but bear in mind this is not a remote work format vacancy.
- Flexible working day start that would suit a night owl and an early bird alike. You can start between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm.
- Private health insurance program. Life insurance.
- Agile approach to work (we’ll gladly teach you).
- Online English classes.
- Training/online courses and workshops/conferences/books to improve your hard- and soft skills.
- Financial compensation of sports and hobbies (gym/dancing/languages/horseback riding/painting/wakeboard… and many more. It’s really up to you!)
- Corporate psychologist consultations. Mental health is as important as physical well-being.
- Awesome parties, team buildings and corporate events in different formats–both online and offline, depending on the situation in the world. We can have fun in any case! :)
Semrush is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or medical condition including medical characteristics, genetic identity, marital status, military service, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, merit and individual qualifications.